Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

2010 Grand Cherokee. Was sitting at a red light two weeks

Customer Question

2010 Grand Cherokee. Was sitting at a red light two weeks ago and the radio and clock went black. Bought another radio off of Ebay. Plugged it in and 15 seconds later it went black. Dead. Pull the fuses (two of them in a connector together in I think fuse 27 and 28 on the fuse block closest to the front of the vehicle) and either radio will power up for 15 seconds. Then die. I checked the power and it appears that we are getting both constant and switched voltage to the radios at appropriate times.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Can I get the last 8 digits of the VIN to grab a wiring diagram to see what's goin on?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AC160765
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you immediately pull the fuse it's like an open relay. After a minute or so it's like a relay closes and it's a closed relay again. Everything works for about 15 seconds and then dead as a doornail.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay!!

Here is the wiring diagam attached.. Fuse 28 in the PDC supplies the voltage straight thru the junction block and to the radio.. When it quits working see if the radio has 12v and if not then check and see if fuse 28 has 12v then check the junction block..

In order to repair this issue we need to see what the radio's missing and then back track and see who isn't supplying the voltage..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already had a wiring diagram. See the last sentence of my original post. I have appropriate power.
Even with the radio off I have 12 volts through the red wire and voltage through the white/orange and white. I know the second two are the can bus but I have yet to find anything else that could be an unswitched positive for the clock and memory.