Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a good one. A 2005 grand Cherokee intermediate no

Customer Question

I have a good one. A 2005 grand Cherokee intermediate no crank problem over 3 years. Replaced started, started solenoid connection, and ignition switch. It finally failed for good. Now I hear the started solenoid under the dash click in start position but no power to starter solenoid. Now there is no power to the ODB.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site.

I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused on what specifically I need to do to help you. Can you clarify whether you're just seeking a professional opinion (basically an educated guess) on what could be wrong, or are you looking for technical guidance on how to diagnose and repair the issue yourself - might need access to tools such as multi-meter, bi-directional scanner, scope, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Terminal 16 on the IDB has no power. The control side of the under hood starter relay has no power. The ignition switch has no power. I need to restore power to these circuits. Maybe this will correct the intermediate no crank issue. BTW these conditions occurred after cycling the ignition switch from off to start many times trying to duplicate this problem. Well I duplicated it. Fuses, under dash and under hood are good. Circuit breakers are good. Is there a fusible link somewhere? Could the WIN module cause this? The locksmith said my keys are good.

Data link connector (DLC) terminal 16 gets its power from fuse 16 (10A) on the left side junction block (fuse block at the driver's end of the dash). Fuse 16 gets its power from fuse 13 (40A) in the power distribution center (fuse box under the hood)

Keep in mind many of these circuits connect to computerized components which can get easily damaged by using low-impedance meters and test lights to check them.

Also keep in mind that ignition switches are made to withstand thousands of turnings from OFF to START and so it's unlikely that you caused the issue. What you're probably looking at is a connection or wiring problem between the Integrated Power Module (IPM) and the PDC. However, you will need a capable scan tool to comunicate with the vehicle systems.

Biggest problem we face is that I can't formulate a diagnostic process that would help you solve this issue without you telling me what tools you have available and what is your mechanical skill level. Please remember our job is to help you, not to judge your performance.

Best Regards.