Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2006 jeep wrangler runs great but about twice a day a

Customer Question

2006 jeep wrangler runs great but about twice a day a screeching sound comes from engine for a few seconds i thought is was a belt or pulley but sounds down in engine and it wont duplicate sound when i take it to my mechanic
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** pulley wouldn't usually be intermittent like this. If a belt is worn it may slip at first so I would start by replacing the belt. To know for sure what the problem is you will need to do some testing. You could remove belt and try to start it a couple times throughout the day, if no noise then you know problem is not the engine and is definitely related to belt. If problem was belt related then the first step would still be replacing belt as no pulleys would lock up like that. With belt sitting off for a few hours you could also turn each individual pulley to verify they turn like they should. Your mechanic should be able to figure it out, you will just need to leave vehicle with them for a day or two. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.