Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

Working on a 1988 jeep wrangler. When ignition is put into

Customer Question

Working on a 1988 jeep wrangler. When ignition is put into "on" position the engine starts cranking over. and still continues cranking when turned turned all the way. I started jeep by accident one time in gear. It learched forward about 1 foot and that
is when this problem occured. i have replaced starter relay and ignition cylinder. this is not a started issure, i have pulled the exciter wire and found 12 volts there constant with key in "on" position. so it is not a starter issue. i have pulled off the
loom to the engine harness and have not found any rubbed or burnt wires. What else should i look into
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Did you replace the ignition switch itself?

Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

The only things that can do this is the ignition switch or the start relay sticking. I would just try another relay and if it still dos it, replace and adjust the ignition switch. Here's a schematic of the whole system:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it possible that I wired the relay incorrectley and that is causing it to happen? do you have a pic or diagram of the correct wiring of the relay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I see you sent the diagram..... but could I have wired it wrong to make this happen? I dont have the relay bolted to the firewall right now because I had replaced it.... does it need to be grounded to work properly?
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Heres a close up of the relay wires:

It does not have to be bolted for ground as it gets ground from the neutral safety switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just replaced ignition switch and adjusted fully both ways, no luck. Starter relay is new and ignition cylinder is new also. This problem did not occur until jeep was started in gear
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay...

Do you have a test light or voltmeter?