MrVuJi
MrVuJi, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician Chysler Master Certified Technician
64305059

My overheat light comes on at 70mph slows vehicle down til

Customer Question

my overheat light for transaxle comes on at 70mph slows vehicle down til it cools down is it possible the cooler to transmission is dirty if so how do I clean it if I keep speed at 65 I am ok when I go 70 or more the transaxle light comes on after about 20 min. the weather was not a factor cause it was cool out
Category: Jeep
Expert:  MrVuJi replied 1 year ago.

Hello! This is unfortunately a very common problem with the CVT transmission. There is a STAR case with Chrysler that helps diagnose this concern.

Expert:  MrVuJi replied 1 year ago.

Many times at the dealer, we begin with a transmission pan service. Allow as much of the transmission fluid to drain and install a new filter. The breakdown of transmission fluid and friction modifier allows slippage in the transmission.

"Heat rejection is via a standard cooler system. This system can be compromised if the fluid begins to foam or aerate due to age, or improper fluid level. As the fluid ages it will show no visible sign of degradation, but will lose its anti-foaming capability, and as such, it is scheduled for replacement at approximately 60,000 miles. Operating in steep grades or hard turns may experience a benefit to keeping the fluid level to the bottom of the specification. "