eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

2005 Liberty A/C problem. Just replaced condenser and low

Customer Question

2005 Liberty A/C problem. Just replaced condenser and low pressure side hose that were leaking. Now there are no obvious leaks that can be seen with dye. I added R134a to proper level on gauge to recharge after running vacuum pump on it. Will not hold charge. Compressor will kick on for 1-2 seconds, but then shut off. I can hear and smell leak but cannot find it. Please advise.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

have you added leak tracer dye?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as mentioned above, I have placed UV dye in the system but there are no obvious leaks that I can see. However, it will not hold charge or vacuum and I can't find any leaks. It is a large leak since I cannot hold any pressure or vacuum. No smell of R134a in the passenger cab so I am not expecting any issues with evaporator. I do not have hundreds of dollars to pay for dealership and I take on most of my own repairs.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

its likely the evaporator, if you have access to a refrigerant leak detector (sniffer) I would start there.. It can hurt to fill it full of dye one more time an reinspect...check the condenser and compressor closely along with the lines and the accumulator..But if you charged it with dye and looked over the whole system I would bet the evaporator core is leaking

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can smell R134a and hear it leaking (sounds like air leak) when I try to add any. But I do not smell it or see the dye from vents inside the cabin. Does this rule out the evaporator?
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

no usually the dye will stay on the core...sometimes it will drip out of the drain tube ...but not always...it must be a serious leak if you hear it...what area is the leak

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Front driver side is where I hear it leaking. It makes no sense because the only component nearby is the condenser (which is new) and not leaking. I also have new o-rings and valves on high and low side which also seem good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is difficult to get dye through the entire system though when I am not able to get enough charge for the compressor to kick on for more than a couple of seconds.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

look at the condenser closely if the hissing is up front you would think the dye would soak it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I expected it to be covered with dye if it were leaking. I was able to see other leaks easily... including my old condenser.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

is very possible you purchased a defective condensor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way to test to condenser? How would I be able to tell unless I see a leak?
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

pull it and examine it more dye? some shops will use nitrogen or compressed air so they don't waste refigerant