Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
62301042

2004 Cherokee cranks and runs while then gauges start to

Customer Question

2004 Cherokee cranks and runs for a while then gauges start to flicker and shuts off.wait a while till cools down can crank and drive foe a little before it repeats
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, is the check engine light on when the vehicle is running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was on before this started,hasn't come back on since.this has been going on and off for a week
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, can you get it to not start? If so, when it doesn't start, there's a plastic cap on the fuel rail. Can you remove that cap and depress the valve core with a small screwdriver while someone cranks the engine and tell me if fuel sprays out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have try it again tomorrow.have dental app now ty
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no problem. We need to figure out if it's not getting fuel or spark when it doesn't start. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will ty
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is an update,I replaced both the fuel pump and filter. still it keeps cutting off.the fuel guage flickers from 1/4 tank to zero ,then it cuts out or off completely.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Is it just the fuel gauge that drops to empty or all the gauges go to zero like when the key is off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just the fuel guage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then when you try to start it it says out of gas. wait thirty minutes and it cranks and does exactly the same thing.added gas didn't make any difference
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pump itself and the sending unit have different grounds, they don't share a ground. Is it not running right now?