Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 95 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande and the headlights

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 95 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande and the headlights won't turn on. I am sure it's due to the fact that some wires got unplugged and taken out by somebody who broke into the car.
Can you tell me what the plug in socket looks like and where it goes underneath the Jeep console?
Thanks for your help!!!!
Saul Laird
***@******.***
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** your vehicle have daytime running lights? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan, if you mean when I turn on the lights button, do the rear lights and side lights come on then Yes, those are functioning. The headlights just don't turn on. The vehicle does not have a working inside light that should come on when doors are opened or it's manually turned on.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Daytime running lights would mean your lights come on at half brightness during the day automatically. Does your vehicle have this option? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't think it's ever had that option/function.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you will need a multimeter to do some testing. First check the 30 amp fuse in location 7 of fuse box. If good verify it has power, then verify red/orange wire at headlight switch has voltage, if not run new wire between fuse 7 and headlight switch. Here is a wire diagram so you can see how system works. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/58zf63z1dgypfhk/headlmpdiag.pdf?dl=0
-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your patience. I went out to the Jeep but couldn't find the fuse box. I know I should know where to find it but I'm not sure where it is. I am pretty sure though that the fuse is ok because it was working until several plugs were pulled from their sockets.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It is next to the battery. Let me know if you run into more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does the actual plug look like that is in the car and attached to the orange/red wires and where is the socket it plugs into so that the lights can turn back on....
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It is the connector that goes into headlight switch. You will need to unplug the headlight switch to check for voltage, if no voltage run new wire between fuse and headlight switch. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuse it's fine. what do you mean by headlight switch? Is that inside the vehicle or is it what's plugged into the actual headlights on both sides of the grill on the exterior? If the headlight switch is inside the car supposed to be connected to the button that turns headlights on, then it's already unplugged. that's the problem. There are several unplugged wires and I need to know which one is for the headlights and where to plug it back in. Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Can you take some pictures of what your dealing with? There should be 1 connector for each headlight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took a couple pics. where should I send. I still don't know exactly what you mean by headlight switch and connector. I think the headlight switch is the button on the console I push up for lights to come on and down to turn it off is that right? then to turn on bright lights you push back on turn signal.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

There is a paperclip icon you can click to upload photos. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope this helps
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what we are looking at, I'll open question up to see if someone who has seen these wires more recently has some ideas. Do not reply or question will be locked to me only, someone will reply automatically when they can help. Thanks.