Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee, the voltmeter stays at 9

Customer Question

I have a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee, the voltmeter stays at 9 volts but with a voltmeter I read 16.5 to 17 volts across the battery what could be the problem
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is*****/reinsert the 20 amp fuse in location 7 which provides battery power to cluster. If good then remove cluster and check violet wire on pin 3 of cluster for battery voltage. If voltage is lower then battery then you have wiring problem somewhere between cluster and fuse 7. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the cluster out and see the wire numbers where it connects. Should I have the vehicle running while checking the violet wire?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't need to be running, let me know what voltage is at wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go to another location where the vehicle is but I don't have internet access, my wife will be typing in any additional info. are you going to be available for a couple of hours?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That will be fine, we can talk as long as we need. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Their is no violet wire on connection 3 their is no wire at all. Number 7 fuse is skim/hoodlp 10afuse in that position
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is what he said to let you know.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Different expert here.
Ok, first thing I need is the 17 digit VIN number so I can hopefully pull up the correct wiring diagrams and connector pinouts that match up with what is in your vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1J4GW48S7YC238930 is the vin number, I also wanted to tell you some of the other things that are going wrong with the dash gauges. It started but has an extreme mis-fire/no idle. When I bring up the rpm's to keep it running, the odometer flickers, some of the other warning lights display/flash on and off (air-bag warning light, abs light, etc.).
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, check fuse 17 and fuse 22 provide power to the instrument panel. Check both of them.
IF good, check for 12v with key on at the pink with red striped wire(pin 6) at the cluster connector. If less the 12v, there is break, cut of chafing in that wire between fuse 17 and the cluster.
Check for 12v with key on at the dark blue with white striped wire(pin 7) at the cluster connector. Again, If less the 12v, there is break, cut of chafing in that wire between fuse 22 and the cluster.
I suspect that they will be good and that this is a faulty cluster, especially with the other cluster issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to run the test in the next couple of days since I have limited time. I will let you know what the readings are at those points.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I have a bad cluster, will that cause issues with the engine running and cause the battery to be overcharging because of the bad voltmeter readings coming back to the computer?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
That will be fine on when you can get to the tests.
Yes, a bad cluster will cause charging issues including overcharging, which in turn can cause performance issues including misfires as too much voltage is getting to the computer and can mess with voltage to the coil and the injectors.