vipertech
vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Jeep factory certified technican
3256298

Car not responding to remote keyless-even when I unlock with

Customer Question

car not responding to remote keyless-even when I unlock with key alarm sounds until I start the engine. New batteries in remote keyless Something in the car not responding
Any ideas as to what needed? 2001 Jeep grand Cherokee laredo
Category: Jeep
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

afternoon. The way the system works.....if you lock the vehicle with the remote or the power lock switch on the door panel....the vehicle anti-theft will be activated. The way to disarm this is only with the remote. The key in the door will not have any affect. This year model/body style did not come with disarm switches in the doors attached to the key cylinders. It relied only on the remotes. This is way if you try to open with the key......the alarm goes off until you turn the key in the ignition. There is a special tester for the remotes to see if they are sending out signals. I have seen some of these simple testers at the local parts stores on the counter where they sale remote batteries and replacement remote cases. That is one way to have the remote tested. In a perfect world I would say try your second remote but not everyone has one. I would have the remote tested first......as I mentioned at the parts store and you can try your local dealership and ask nicely to see if they would be welling to test it being that doesnt take any time at all to do it. I have worked at a Jeep dealership for over 18 years and its most likely the remote.

Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

Evening, I am checking back to see if you had a chance to go over the answer I gave you. Let me know if you need further help or have more questions about the answer. Thanks