Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass. The ck engine light came on with

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass. The ck engine light came on with the error message gascap. Today when I went to drive it, it would not start. It cranked and kind of started then sputtered out....now it just cranks and doesn't start.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Have you checked and see what codes are in the PCM? If not that's the first step in determining what is wrong and I would suggest connecting a scantool to retrieve the codes and post them here so I can tell you what to check. You can try cycling the key 3 times and see if any codes appear in the odometer but if not then you will need a scantool or cheap code reader... The Gas Cap message has nothing to do with your no start issue.

Keep me posted

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it to a garage and they could not get anything out of it to show why it's not starting relative to the codes. Their recommendation was to take it to a dealership to take a little deeper. Iironically it ended up being able to start on its own when I took it to the garage. However last night, I was driving home and it just stalled out
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

What is the last 8 digits of your VIN so I can check on any related stalling cases?