Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.
14892859

My jeep liberty was in an accident. Got t on the passenger

Customer Question

My jeep liberty was in an accident. Got hit on the passenger side by the front wheel. This also knocked the right driver side of my car against the guard rail. Front passenger tire came off, as did the front passenger fender. Other than that, no really any visible damage other than scratches. Has been in the shop getting fixed, all body damage fixed, suspension and ty rod replaced, but they can't get my car to align. What could this mean and what should I look for when I pick the car up
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If the shop cannot align the front end, you have additional damage that was not noticed initially. If the front end impact was enough to jettison the front tire, you have something bent. Exactly what that is is hard to say without seeing it in person. However, the possibilities are: Front Strut, Upper Control Arm, lower control arm, spindle. Any of these will cause the alignment to not be obtainable. A good alignment shop, looking at the reading on the alignment machine, will be able to tell you what is bent. Caster and camber are dictated by the listed parts, toe is dictated by the tie rods. Depending on exactly where the brunt of the impact occurred, I would initially think that the control arms are causing the problem. Again, this would be able to be determined by the readings on the machine. If the people working on it do not have a machine capable of getting a read out, you need to look elsewhere for a machine that does have a read out.

If you do not get the alignment set to specs, you will wear tires very rapidly. Your steering wheel will not be centered, and, worst of all, the car may 'pull" to to one side or the other. This could cause the vehicle to drift into oncoming traffic (a left pull) or into the guardrails (pull to the right). You really need to get htis sorted out before driving it everyday.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer