sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

What is the major falure of jeep4.7,3.7 engines

Customer Question

what is the major falure of jeep4.7,3.7 engines
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

I'm assuming you're looking to know some issues we've seen with these engines.

Contrary to what you may read on forums these are not bad engines if taken care. I've seen countless 3.7's and 4.7's last well past 200,000 miles with proper maintenance. Like any modern engine if you don't keep up with oil changes and/or use low quality oil you can end up with sludge.

The most common issues I've seen with these is rocker arms falling out of position. This can be just a failure of the rocker or lifter, but it sometimes caused by a sticking valve.

3.7/4.7 heads will sometimes crack but it's usually caused by a driver allowing the engine to overheat for an extended time such as when there is a coolant leak.

Rarely I've seen a piston or wristpin issue, but only a couple times over 15 years.

The timing chains do stretch and gears wear over time and the chains can end up making noise at higher mileage, but this really isn't any different than other vehicles.