sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I am having some trouble with my 2007 jeep compass. It will

Customer Question

Hi, I am having some trouble with my 2007 jeep compass. It will not start all of a sudden. I noticed a chugging while driving it yesterday. I came home and parked it and today dash lights go on, radio works, windows work, but it will not turn over. I have replaced the transmission, catalytic converter, fuel pump, and the battery this year alone. No codes are popping up either. Do you know what this could be?
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll add that it's not even attempting to start. It's just silent.. Check engine light is on as well as the etc light.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could be causing your no start condition. It could be low battery voltage, a cable or connection issue, transmission range sensor related, the ignition switch, TIPM, powertrain control module, the starter itself, and wiring.

When you first turn the key on do you hear the throttle body go through it's self test and does the fuel pump run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I can hear the tests running & not sure about the fuel pump. How can I check? I just had the fuel pump replaced a few weeks ago. Should I look for a loose hose or something?

The problem won't be related to the fuel pump being replaced.

The pump is in the fuel tank under the rear seat area. Do you hear a light hum from that area when the key is first turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait, yes.. I do

The powertrain control module is awake then.

Are you able to check for power at the starter with the key held in the crank position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having trouble getting to the starter.

What trouble are you having?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just can't get to it

The next thing that needs to be done is verify the battery voltage to the starter as well as the solenoid control circuit. If both are ok and the engine ground is good then the starter can be condemned.

If te solenoid isn't being powered then a scan tool would be necessary for deeper testing of the ignition switch, TIPM and powertrain control module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had the starter and battery checked and they are not the problem.

Does the S***** *****ght stay on or flash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
S***** *****ght is off today...Was on solid yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Etc light is still on.

Did the engine originally start and die three times and then lock the starter out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I drove it all day with no problems, parked it overnight and woke up to it dead.

If the S***** *****ght is on solid its because the wireless control module isn't able to communicate with the powertrain control module. If there are no other electrical issues and the S***** *****ght is on solid then the WCM is most likely down if the PCM is awake. If the throttle body cycles and the fuel pump runs when the key is turned on then the PCM is at least partially awake, odds are it is ok. Even though the S***** *****ght isn't currently on it being on when the problem started is still significant. It's going to take electrical testing utilizing a scan tool to determine what is going on, there is a good chance you have a failed WCM.