Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.
14892859

I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler and I'm not 100% on what was

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler and I'm not 100% on what was happening when it happened (wife was driving it) but now when I put it into any gear (auto) it wont go anywhere. But where she was at it looked and smelled like coolant on the ground but there is still coolant in the reservoir.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I assume this is a standard 4WD Wrangler, with an auto trans and a transfer case shift lever. There are two things that can cause a no-movement condition in this vehicle. One is a transmission failure, the other is somehow the transfer case lever has been jarred to neutral (or something hit underneath the transfer case to cause this. The first thing to do is see if the transfer case lever is not in 2WD, or moved a bit out of 2wd. If thsi is OK, check the condition of the transmission fluid. It should be pinkish color, not dark brown or black. It should not smell 'burnt', either. It should also be on the FULL mark on the dipstick.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer