Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport. it has the 4.0 L engine.

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport. it has the 4.0 L engine. The engine was missing so I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Before replacing these parts I had a P0301 code. Now after the tune up I am getting a Po305 code. I think this means I have a misfire on the number 5 cylinder. What could be the problem and which is the number 5 cylinder?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! Can you feel the engine misfiring? IF so, does it misfire all of the time or just under certain conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems to misfire mostly when I first start the vehicle up. After it warms up it seems to run fine.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If the tune up parts have been replaced, I would suspect a weak valve/burned valve, carboned up valve on number 5 cylinder or an intake manifold gasket leak near number 5 cylinder.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Another possible cause could be a leaking or slightly plugged injector on number 5 cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through the engine could this help? The reason I ask is that the reason I did the tune up in the first place is because I was getting a P0301 code. But after replacing the plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor I do not get the P0301, I only get a P305.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

It would not hurt to do so..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

which is the number 5 cylinder?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The second to last cylinder

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any further questions? If not, please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today. It has been a pleasure!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?