AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0, four wheel drive. Only my

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 , four wheel drive. Only my bright headlights work, will not dim. Also rear tail lights do not work. Brake lights work, so do turn signals , flashers, back up lights. Headlamps good. Fuses good. When you attempt to dim headlights they stay on bright only. I have checked everything I can think of without success. Could the problem be in the main on-off light switch on dash?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Would you like the instructions to test the headlamp switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If by dimmer switch you mean the combination turn signal / bright-dim lever on the column I have already changed that.

Sorry, I seem to be having problems replying. Not sure if it's my internet connection or what the deal is. I had not realized that your tail lights were not functioning as well. After noticing that, I am tempted to think that it's the actual headlamp switch but not sure that would cause your head lamps to not switch between high and low. I was trying to find a procedure to test that, because Im not really a fan of throwing parts at cars, but I just can't seem to find a procedure to test it.. only to replace it. If you would like to replace it and need to know how I can certainly help you with that, or if you would like me to opt out so someone can chime in, I can do that as well.

Did you inspect the connector on the headlamp switch in the dash and make sure that the connection is good?

did you request a call?

I would replace the headlamp switch. it is fairly inexpensive and responsible for a lot of different things so it would not shock me to find out that it is the cause of your problems.