vipertech
vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Jeep factory certified technican
3256298

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the fiat diesel

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the fiat diesel engine in it and I just added the same brand Def fluid I always use but awarding light came on saying wrong DEF detected see Dealer. I have 33000 miles on the vehicle and have not encountered this before. Is there a way to reset the system and what could go wrong if I continue to drive with the same Def brand as always?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

Evening. Most likely its not the DEF that your using. An error has happened with the DEF system and that message is the first thing that notifies you. There will be a code either active or stored. The code will tell us alot. If your certain there is no issues with the quality of your DEF then the issue will be with the vehicle then. With the number of miles and year....its still under warranty and should be taken care of free of charge. I have seen a catalyst failures on 2 of these so far. There is actually a service bulletin related to it but its concerning a specific code. Having the code like I mentioned would tell me alot. But I still feel that your in the safe and the vehicle needs to be seen at your local dealer so that it can be checked and repaired without any money out of your pocket. There is an issue with the vehicle and resetting will not make a difference because the system looks for the NOx level to change within a specific range and if it doesnt, the first thing is assumes is the fluid. Well there are other things that can cause that so thats why I dont put much faith in the wrong DEF message being exactly that. I feel your going to have an SCR catalyst issue but there are more needed checks and inspections that need to be performed first.

Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

Morning....checking back to see if you had a chance to read over the info I sent you about your question. Thanks

Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

If you feel that the question was answered completely then please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. This way the question can be updated and I can be paid thru the website for the time spent helping you. This is the way that the experts on this site get compensated. You can still reply back at anytime on this question even after leaving the positive feedback and accepting the answer. Thanks for letting me help you.

Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I see that you returned to review the information I gave you. Are there any questions about the info that you might have or more help you might need? Otherwise If you feel that the question was answered completely then please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. This way the question can be updated and I can be paid thru the website for the time spent helping you. This is the way that the experts on this site get compensated. You can still reply back at anytime on this question even after leaving the positive feedback and accepting the answer. Thanks for letting me help you.