Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master...30+ years...Shop owner..engine builder..collision structural repair
2947720

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport (NOT the Grand Cherokee!)

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport (NOT the Grand Cherokee!) with inline 6 4L engine. It overheats, although thermostat, radiator cap, temperature sensor and e-fan relay switch have been replaced (radiatorsensor and switch were replaced today, thermostat - the 3rd in about one year - in April or May). Currently, the outside temperatures are in the 90's; with the AC on, temperature (which should stay around 195, according to thermostat specs) quickly climbs above 210 and gradually rises (like another 5 degrees over the next 20 minutes). This should not happen, of course, and actually did not go up as high BEFORE I took the car to the shop (it did run over 210, anyhow, that's why I needed them to look at it, and they found and replaced the malfunctioning sensor and switch) - so now I am wondering: Why is it a) still running hot, and b) what could be the cause that it runs even hotter AFTER the two malfunctioning components were replaced by a professional mechanic? What else could I do?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.

.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.