Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

2009 jeep grand cherokee blower motor not working at all.

Customer Question

2009 jeep grand cherokee blower motor not working at all. changed resistor and checked all fuses but still not working. wondering if temp control panel possibly bad
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Can I start by getting the last 8 of your VIN to grab a wiring diagram so we can see what's going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last digits of the VIN are 9C517123
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the VIN!!

Ok do you have a test light? I attached the wiring diagram to help and I will need for you to tell me if the Dark Blue wire has 12v, and if the other wire has a ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not see the wiring diagram attached however I have checked all wires coming out of and into the resistor and do not have any voltage on them. I have disconnected the blower motor connector and do not have any voltage on that lead either. I connected the blower motor directly to 12V and the blower motor runs at high speed.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it didn't go thru.. Here it is again.

You have ATC which is auto temp control and I need to know what side of the circuit your issue is on.. The 12v or ground side..

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have access to the car right now I was just going by memory. I can check the car tomorrow and get back to you if that will work. Not quite sure exactly what you mean by ground side or 12V side. I did attempt to check all voltages using chassis ground making sure the ground used was good.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Your blower motor needs 2 things to come on and that is 12v on the green wire and a ground on the black.. If you do have 12v then it's very likely a ground side issue.. The blower motor speed is ground side controlled and you will need to test it by clipping the test light to 12v(You can use the green wire)and probing the wire and if it doesn't light then we need to test the blower motor resistor module.. Just follow the wiring I posted and test for 12v on the blue and a ground on the violet...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will check that tomorrow and get back to you.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.. I will be working at the dealership but I will reply asap..

Take care

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad,
Took me awhile to get the car for a check. I tested the the blue wire and do not have 12V. It does appear to be a ground side issue because I noticed the blower motor will not come on in auto or manual mode. I suspect the the A/C control panel. Does the control panel have a pin out diagram so I can see where the 12V comes into the panel and where it gets distributed out of the panel. There are three connectors going to the panel. That way I could confirm if the panel is bad. I think a new one runs around $300