Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.
7276279

2002 Jeep grand Cherokee 4.0 4wd. I bought this jeep to fix

Customer Question

2002 Jeep grand Cherokee 4.0 4wd. I bought this jeep to fix up and sell. When you start driving the Jeep you can feel a vibration starting at 40 mph the faster you go the more vibration. When you approach highway speeds of 65 and 70 mph the jeep vibrates a lot and you hear a loud growling sound that appears to be coming from the rear end. I thought for sure it was the rear diff so I replaced it. Took it out for a drive and same vibration and growling sound occurred. I notice that the front drive shaft universal joint at the front diff was bad and replaced it. another test drive and same results. I removed the front drive shaft and the Jeep drives like new. Put the front drive shaft back in and the vibrations and loud growling sounds appear. I went to a junkyard and replaced the front drive shaft. Same result the vibration and growling sound is still there. Here's what I know: 1) remove the front drive shaft and everything is perfect 2) the front & rear diff are full of fluid,
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the Jeep runs smoothly and the problem is gone with the front shaft removed then the problem has to be with the drive shaft of the front diff. Its possible the used drive shaft is defective as well. I would consider having the drive shaft balanced and see if that solves the vibration. .