Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 99 jeep 4.7L shows code: abs cluster malfunction wont

Customer Question

hello again, my 99 jeep 4.7L shows code: abs cluster malfunction wont start
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
other day it didnt start and cleaned the battery cable and start okay but this time it wont start at all completely dead and found the code said abs cluster malfunction
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! Thank you for requesting me! Are you saying that the engine cranks over but does not start or are you saying that the engine does not crank over at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hell again,
the engine does not crank over at all
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Got it! Does the check engine light come on with the key on? Does the TPS have 5 volts with the key on?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

It looks like the PCM does not control the starter relay. The above should not matter. It should be a simple diagnoses. Just remove the starter relay and check for battery voltage on two of the four female pins with the key in the crank position. One power comes from the ignition switch and fuse 31 in the junction block and the other power comes directly from fuse 8 under the hood. Then the PNP switch grounds the starter relay with the transmission in park or nuetral and that allows the relay to activate and send power down to the starter motor.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of the starting circuit.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Anything in this circuit can go bad preventing the starter from getting power. Also, be sure that the battery checks out good and the battery cables/connections are clean and tight. Also, dont forget about the grounds. Battery ground, engine ground and frame ground.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Does that help? Does that make sense? Did you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will check them all out tomorrow am as it s at other place... thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good! Please let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok test pcm. Got volt. So took the stsrter relay fuse off test. See on pins see it gots volt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
test pcm and got volts then test starter relay fuse pins one has volts.020 something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant tsp instead of pcm gots volt.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I think it would be easier for us to talk over the phone

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
remember I m deaf and it will be more difficultly on phone thanks for asking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
test tsp and got volts then test starter relay ( Just remove the starter relay and check for battery voltage on two of the four female pins with the key in the crank position. One power comes from the ignition switch and fuse 31 in the junction block and the other power comes directly from fuse 8 under the hood. Then the PNP switch grounds the starter relay with the transmission in park or nuetral and that allows the relay to activate and send power down to the starter motor. ) fuse pins one has volts.020 something so only one got volts while other nothing and haven't check fuse 31
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just test fuse 31. One pin of two pins got some volts while other pin none
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! I am on lunch break now. Did you check fuse 31 while it was in place? Meaning when it was inserted.. before pulling it out? Did you use the back side of the fuse and check for voltage on the two small prongs? If so, then they both should have power with the key in the crank position. If not, fuse 31 is bad.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!