Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2005 jeep tj 4cylinder standard. The reverse gear

Customer Question

I have a 2005 jeep tj 4cylinder standard. The reverse gear pops out occasionally?
What are the possible issues.
Thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. If it only pops out in reverse, then the problem is in the shift rail detent mechanism in the top of the transmission, a worn reverse gear shift fork, or the reverse / idler gear. Whatever it is, the transmission will will need to be removed, opened up and the shift rail/ collar inspected and replaced as needed. The only other thing that it may be is something causing the shift lever to not move completely into reverse like the rubber boot around the bottom of the shift lever.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

When you press the clutch and shift into reverse does it ever grind? Also is the jeep lifted and is there proper room for the shifter to move and not hit the body?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will grind sometimes. No it's not lifted , all stock.
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Different expert here. I tend to agree with my colleagues on their input. However, I would liek to add that excess end-play in the main transmission gear cluster (the whole thing moves back and forth inside the case) can and will allow the reverse gear to lose contact with the drive gear. This too would involve removal of the transmission and some end-play measurements be taken. If the trans was out, grab the input shaft with your hand and pull it towards you, and then push it back towards the transmission. If you see any noticable movement, you have excess endplay. Sometimes this can be rectified with shims. Other times, the gears are worn so badly because of this you might wan to consider a replacement unit. The sheer cost of rectifying an excess endplay issue outweighs the cost of a replacement unit. You will spend over a thousand dollars for the main cluster shaft and gears. If the case is worn, I would not pursue repair. I would recommend replacement

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if you still have questions.

Chris