Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

The rpms were surging so I replaced the Idle Air Control

Customer Question

The rpms were surging so I replaced the Idle Air Control valve and the Throttle Sensor. The rpms are running normal until I turn on the heat or ac! When I turn them on the rpms go crazy! What is the problem?
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rpms were surging so I replaced the Idle Air Control Valve and the Throttle Sensor. The rpms were running normal until I turned on the ac or the heat then they would surge again! What is the problem?
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site.

I used to take out the IAC and clean it as well as the throttle body. Then I would re-install the IAC and perform an idle relearn procedure with my scan tool - even if you don't have access to a goode scan tool, it can still be done:

1. Make sure battery is fully charged and charging system is working well (idle relearn won't happen if the system is at 12 Volts or less)
  2. Turn off all accessories, make sure the trans is in Park and start the engine (play with the gas pedal as necessary, just don't let it die!)
  3. Apply Parking brakes and use your left foot to press hard on the regular brake pedal
  4. Shift the trans into Drive (do not let the engine die!)
  5. Turn the headlamps and A/C on (do not let the engine die!)
  6. Let the engine run for up to 5 minutes until you can slowly take your foot off the gas without it dying
  7. Idle relearn is done

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again whats an id????

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question? What "id" are you referring to?