Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My brakes were fine on my 2012 jeep wrangler. once when i

Customer Question

My brakes were fine on my 2012 jeep wrangler. once when i was braking the pedal sank a little and the braking was not as good. i replaced both rotors and all pads and it makes the very same noise. not so much of a vibration as it is a stop/start feeling as the wheel goes around. this happens only when i apply the brakes and i think it happens twice every revolution of the tire.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.I apologize for any delay.

If this feels kind of like the anti lock brakes are engaging as if you were slipping on a slippery road surface this may be a fault with a failing wheel speed sensor sending an incorrect signal causing the anti lock brake computer to think that one of the wheels is slipping.This causes the anti lock brake feel where it can be a pulsation type feel on the brake pedal or a brake and release feel.

If this is the case here the wheel speed sensor signals need checked using a scan tool to monitor the signals from the sensors to see if one or more of the sensors is sending an incorrect signal needing replaced.

If this is not the type of feel you feel here let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the two abs fuses and it seems to have gotten better (could be my imagination) but is still thumping with each revolution of the wheel, not fast pumping like abs would act. It thumps according to how fast the wheel is going, from a fast shudder to a very slow crawl one per revolution. I cant say I feel any pulling of the steering wheel nor do I feel any hard pulsing of the brake pedal. Whattya think? Could a small amount of fingerprints on the rotor cause a slipping? PS Remember this trouble existed in the original brakes--that's what got me to change rotors etc. I forgot to mention that when I took the old rotors and pads off the car, there was no indication whatsoever of any abnormal wear, no scoring, looked perfectly normal. Should I be suspecting a caliper? Easy to replace.c
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The more I drive the more I wonder if it could be related somehow to the drive system (CV or universal joints) cuz I hear a kind of deep metallic clunking sound out the window once per revolution when the car goes real slow. Still no feeling in the steering wheel or brakes. I can't figure it out cuz this noise is only present when I step on the brake. The car otherwise drives very smooth and quiet.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This may be a possible fault with a wheel bearing issue with a bearing starting to fail or a front axle or axle joint as all of these can cause this fault here and may only be noticed when braking possibly.These need to be checked into further to see if the fault can be pinpointed and then repaired from there.

Thanks Pete