Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
62301042

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited the car shuts down

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited the car shuts down while driving without warning, change the crank shaft, cam shaft, alternator, ignition switch, oil filter, distributor, rods, you name it and the problem is still there. The mechanics put it on the computer and nothing shows up as the problem. Can you help?
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also change the gas filter.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, has anyone looked into looking at fuel pressure yet? Fuel pumps are fairly common to fail on that vehicle. Does it not restart right away when it stalls? If so, hook up a fuel pump gauge while it is cranking but not starting. The fuel pressure should be 50 psi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the fuel pump change. No it does not start for an hour after it stops.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, we'd need to find if it's not getting fuel or not getting spark when it's not starting. It has to be one or the other. Can you get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to it and get it to not start? You could probably rent one for cheap from a Pep Boys.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem mostly happens when the jeep engine gets hot
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Right but we need to figure out if it's not starting due to no fuel or no spark.