Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 99 grand cherokee limited v8. i have a no start

Customer Question

i have a 99 grand cherokee limited v8. i have a no start issue. i have power, i have dash lights, nothing happens when i try to start. the skim key warning light is not on and the remote starter will start the engine
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

first try to start in neutral and wiggle the shifter bewteen gears. Sometimes the neutral sawety switch whick allos it to start in park and neutral goes bad.

Even if it wont start in neutral still replace the switch because they go bad all the time and is real common.

LJ

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it wont start in neutral. when i start it with the remote and put the key in the ignition to run, the engine shuts off when i step on the brake as if the key is not in, and the s***** *****ght is not illuminated

Thanks,

Thats a problem inside the BCM (body control module) all the interior switches run through it along with the alarm, brake switch, starter enable, etc...It will need to be replaced.

LJ