Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech
62301042

2007 jeep commander only starts when i push the relay in

Customer Question

2007 jeep commander only starts when i push the relay in while someone turns the key. i've already replaced the starter wire
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put it in nutral and it started with the key without pushing the relay only happened once, will not start again without pushing relay even in nutral
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, can you tell me what engine your commander has?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.7 v8
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, first thing I'd try is remove the starter relayin the fuse box under the hood. Look for pins 87 and 30 on the bottom of the relay. Take a paper clip and touch it to the 2 cavities 87 and 30 go into. The starter should crank the engine when you do that. Let me know. If it does crank when you do that, you'll need a test light yo procede further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried the above, and did not start, then i noticed that it's stuck in 4th gear and wont switch to any other gear and the engine light is on.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, do you have a test ligh? We will need that for the next step. Pins 85 and 86 of that relay need a power and ground but if the starter didn't come on when you paper clipped 87 and 30, there's another issue. It won't start and run with the paper clip but it should crank the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a test light in the paper clip did make the engine turn over but it still would not start
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

By stuck in 4th, do you mean the display is showing it's in overdrive when the shifter is not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, when I put it in D, the display reads 4.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've put in a new ignition switch, cleaned the shift console, and still nothing but a click.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Does it have auto stick? If so, try moving the shifter to the right or left to get the number to change.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The num. won't charge
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

So it does have auto stick? Like the + and - to change gears manually?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if it won't change, it's most likely a bad shifter. If you hold it towards +, it should go to drive. That will also cause your no crank issue. To verify, pin 86 of the starter relay should have power with the key in crank position and pin 85 should have ground in the crank position. I'm betting you will be missing the ground. It comes from the PCM and if it isn't seeing the park or neutral signal, it won't provide that ground to the starter relay. Check those 2 pins next.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find.