Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

I was wondering have a 96 jeep grand cherokee love the jeep

Customer Question

i was wondering have a 96 jeep grand cherokee love the jeep its the 6cyl i lost reverse and top gears all at once. is this a spent transmission or is there a more likely problem
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll try to help with your Jeep question. It sounds like you have a failure of your direct clutch inside the transmission. It would require a complete tear down to repair and would likely cost more to rebuild than the Jeep may be worth.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank u just thought it was weird to lose reverse and top two at same time figured it could be electronic
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

The direct clutch is responsible for reverse, 3rd and 4th

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a place he can start before total rebuild maybe a control module selenoid the jeep never exhibited problems just started after parked for awhile(he is in college) so long periods without driving vehicle. And nothing
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

This transmission only uses electronic control for up-shifting and overdrive range. The clutch that I mentioned is the mechanical component that is active in R, 3 and 4. If it was an electronic problem it would only have 2nd and Reverse. With reverse out too that points to mechanical failure of the Front clutch (direct)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u very much great experience
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I hope you received excellent service. Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

If you feel that the question was answered completely then please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. This way the question can be updated and I can be paid thru the website for the time spent helping you. This is the way that the experts on this site get compensated. You can still reply back at anytime on this question even after leaving the positive feedback and accepting the answer. Thanks for letting me help you.