Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I picked up a 2000 Grand Cherokee a few days ago and the

Customer Question

Hi Brad, I picked up a 2000 Grand Cherokee a few days ago and the cruise is out on it. The cruise light comes on but never sets. The air bag light comes on almost every time i back out the drive way for for 2 seconds then goes out after the chime. I have not checked for codes yet. Think a clock spring is in order?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** the clockspring is the most common culprit when both the cruise control does not work and the airbag light comes on, we do alot of them, have you had codes read from the restraint computer yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunetly the code reader I have available can not read the that system. The light only comes on for a second anyway and given the year, 2000 Im not positive a code would be there. You would know better than me though. The code scanner did not show any codes for this vehicle when I checked it. I have done a few clock springs myself in the past its been a while though. All the electrical for the steering wheel goes through it right?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Most of the inexpensive code readers only read engine codes, nit the abs, retraint and the transmission codes, you will need a reader that does thise codes, but from everything you are experiencing, the common area is the clockspring assembly,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Tim, I changed the clockspring like you suggested and it didn't fix the issue. My wife ended up calling the previous owner and she has a brother-in-law who is also a mechanic and he said to check the brake light switch. I guess he suggested I adjust it a bit and see if that fixes the problem. Before I go do that, can you confirm that it would be a good idea? From previous experience I know messing with the switch causes the brake lights to turn on without pressing on the peddle?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

the brak light switch wont have anything to do with the airbags, whatsoever, and to verify its good, make sure the l=brake lights are off, when the pedal is not depressed, and they come on when you press it, if they do, then the switch is good, did you ever retreive the codes from the sirbag system?