Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.
14892859

Apparent lubrication failure causing bearing failure. auto

Customer Question

apparent lubrication failure causing bearing failure. auto completely lubed and oil changed 4000 miles ago. No leaks and no smoke, no warnings of oil pressure or overheating. question is there likely oil pump failure? question should this be covered by extended warrantee of dealer-seller ?
1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.7 V Power Tech with 107,000 miles total and only 4000 since major lube and oil change.
***@******.***
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Assuming that the vehicle has been serviced at the recommended maintenance intervals, and no sludge is present, I would suspect that the engine experienced an oil pump pressure relief valve failure ("PRV"). The PRV does exactly what its name implies. It relives excess pressure (cols tart up = thik oil =higher pressure. If the PRV sticks in the fully open position, most of the oil pressure is lost back into the oil pan. This causes a lack of the necessary 40 PSI of engine oil lubrication. Other items could be a crack at the oil pump pickup, where the pump is drawing air instead of oil. Without seeing the engine in person, it is difficult to descriobe the exact cause, however, your statements lead me to believe you experienced some type of oil pump issue.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you............. do you think the problem-expense of repair would be covered under a extended warranty contract ?

If a covered item failed, it should be taken care of under the terms of the contract.