Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Ive got a 2002 jeep limited 4.7L, 165,k miles. Changed my

Customer Question

ive got a 2002 jeep limited 4.7L, 165,k miles. Changed my transmission fluid, 15K miles ago, no metal in pan, everything good till today. she just slipped out of OD into neutral then I can only drive in 2nd. It re-sets after shutting off and on but starts doing it all over again. Coolant was a little low and its extremely hot out, does this effect it?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! Is the check engine light on?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, You have a transmission sensor or solenoid that is acting up. Do this: get the Jeep to a shop or auto parts store and ask them to read/check for any transmission related codes, (not engine codes). Once you know what the code(s) are, then you can have the appropriate sensor/solenoid replaced. Most common sensor to fail on that transmission is an input or output speed sensor. And if so, they are very easy to replace because they are on the left side of the transmission case and simply screw into the case.
I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, I'll check it out. I had just went over a bump in the road where they were doing repair work...you think it might have loosened a sensor?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm, possibly. That would make sense. So knowing this, get under the Jeep and inspect all of the wiring and sensor connectors. Who knows you may see something obvious!
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks!
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!!
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!
Thank you!
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Chris