Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Clutch broke yesterday while

Customer Question

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Clutch broke yesterday while driving. Stuck in 2nd gear. Heard a "pop" and the clutch gave out. Could not re-start Jeep after I had to come to stop. Towed to house. Can physically put through the gears underneath Jeep, but clutch pedal is non-functioning. Something snapped in the clutch linkage between clutch pedal and transmission. Master cylinder seems in tact visually. Can it be slave cylinder? If so, please provide as many options of what it could be, and how to work through the labor. Thank you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the request and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

It sounds like your slave cylinder could be the problem but we will have to check a few things first.. Can you run out and remove the two 13mm nuts on the side of the transmission and remove the slave cylinder and have someone press the clutch and tell me if it extends out..

Standing by,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took slave cylinder off. had someone pump clutch. slave assembly fell apart in a bucket I had underneath. So the "boot" that is on the slave but inside the transmission had a "pushrod assembly with a metal spiral clip fall into the bucket. so now what? that seems to be broken for sure. But does a new slave assembly just get bolted back on, or is there some connection to the slave inside the transmission itself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
brake fluid also came out as we pumped the clutch once the slave was detached which I assume is expected.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Yes it sounds like you need a new slave cylinder, and it will need to be bleed with brake fluid when installed.. Now since you have it off can you look inside the transmission and see if the clutch fork and release bearing are ok. If you see any pieces in the bellhousing I would pull the clutch to inspect...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the clutch fork and release bearing? The rounded "hip socket" part of the rod looks to be plastic and "worn".
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

The clutch fork is the part the plastic end of the slave cylinder pushes against. I would replace the slave cylinder to see if your issues still exist...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clutch fork would be inside the transmission? The weak point seemed to be where the clutch cable connected to the slave cylinder inside the rubber boot. Thats what fell apart in my hands when i disconnected the slave, and the clutch was pushed. If I don't see anything obviously broken inside the transmission itself, can I assume i can just replace the slave, and it will push against the fork properly? do I only replace the slave cylinder, or would you replace the master cylinder, connecting cable and the slave cylinder as one unit? Thanks.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Yes it sounds like if you replace the salve cylinder you should be in good shape.. What is the last 8 of your VIN so I can get you a price and part number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Complete VIN: 1J4FY1998WP776092
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

I think you typed the wrong VIN.. See if it's rather 1J4FY19S8WP776092.

If so then the slave cylinder is part number 52107652AC and it lists for $259.00 from us(Jeep). It's a complete unit and I attached a picture showing what is looks like..

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Can you tell me why the price is so high? I found it at 3 different places from $129-$159. If there is something different about the one you mentioned then I'm open to paying a higher price, but not if they are the same. Thanks again.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

The one I listed is from us(Jeep) and the ones you are finding are aftermarket parts... They all should work, just make sure they offer a warranty..

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

If you can afford it I always suggest using OEM parts..