Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

I was driving today and all of a sudden I heard a metallic

Customer Question

Hi Eric, I'm Wendy. I was driving today and all of a sudden I heard a metallic clicking noise, when I pulled over I realized I was dragging a metal pipe with a cap that says for dealer use only from the front end of the car. I pulled it out and it is metal and broken and is maybe 8-10 inches long and slightly curved. It has a warning to only use jeep and Chrysler transmission fluid. I popped the hood and I can't see where this broke off of. I'm also concerned that my car may be leaking. I'm not sure if it is condensation from the ac or is fluid from the car. I rubbed it between my fingers and it doesn't feel oily, it could be water but I don't know anything about cars or what transmission fluid will look like. I drove around the block twice and the car runs but I don't want to get stranded if it is going to break down. It is a 2014 Jeep Compass. I can't find anywhere on the Internet a map of where the transmission fluid is poured into to see if this is where the pipe I was dragging connected. Please help!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a picture you can upload so I can see what you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I sent it
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Hi Wendy!!

Thanks for the picture...

That is your transmission dipstick that has broke off. You will need to replace the entire dipstick to fix it and transmission fluid could leak of the dipstick where it broke off at so you will want to drive easy until you can replace it.. Also dirt and debris can enter the transmission so I wouldn't drive on any dirtroads...

I hope this helps and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in south Florida, it rains a lot here, would you advise me to tape the hole up I think I found where it connects. Will I be okay to drive for two more days before I am able to drop it off? Mostly highway driving for about 30 mins at a time twice a day and then a few errand on local streets? Thank you for your help
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Yes I would cover it with something so dirt/water doesn't enter your transmission and damage it.. Once you cover it you can drive it where ever you need to and you should be fine...

You are very welcome and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad