sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2008 Grand Cherokee with ignition switch recall, currently

Customer Question

2008 Grand Cherokee with ignition switch recall, currently not able to get ignition switch out of accessory. Car must be connected to charger overnight to start in the am. Battery is only charged to 85% Max, and it's 18mo old. Radio has stopped working. Connected issue possibly?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

PROBABLY not, the recall for the ignition switch is because it can slip between run and accessory, NOT because the key wont come out, that is MORE LIKELY a failed shifter assembly, the shifter sends an electrical signal to the ign switch to release a solenoid that releases the key, while it IS possible to have a bad solenoid in the ignition switch that is a RARE failure the more common failure here is the shifter assembly, as for the radio that could be a separate issue depending on what the radio is actually doing, i.e. is the display blank, does it show time bit will not turn on or something else, IF the ignition switch caused this there would be many more things inoperative than just a radio

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, the recall is also for the key not coming out of the accessory position, have been to the dealership, spoken with the recall center and now Chrysler. Soooooooo.....And I do have other issues, because of the ignition recall. The radio will not come on at all.... No power, no clock, nada
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

please read the recall it states the key can slip between run and accessory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I've had a discussion with Chrysler, the recall center and the dealership. Getting stuck is also in the recall on my vehicle, but thanks for the condescending response.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

OK I must opt out then as there is really no help I can give you since you seem to think this is all relates to the ignition switch recall and nothing else, I cannot get you any parts faster that the dealer, and there is no other solution to this issue, I have a jeep in my bay at work now with the exact same issue as yours with the key not coming out and it is the shifter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try asking someone else. Read up on the full recal yourself
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

not being condescending and I still work at a dealer so I am very familiar with all the current recalls and their causes

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Reading over your question it appears that you were just wondering if the radio not working was because of the issue you're having with the wireless ignition node. The recall is for the WIN being accidentally turned back from the run position while driving. If this was to happen then you'd lose multiple items which could include wipers, blower motor, the radio, airbag and ABS modules; anything that needs the key on to operate.
If you aren't having any other items that don't work then the problem is almost certainly a failure in the radio. The radio receives power from the IOD circuit, ground, and is woken up by a communication bus message. If the power locks an interior lights work then there is power on the IOD circuit, if the radio is the only thing not working, you aren't seeing the lights and wipers come on along with all warning lights then the communication bus is up. What will need to be done is remove the radio and test it's power, ground and communication bus to confirm the issue is in the radio.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My vehicle has been diagnosed with the recall issue and currently I have to charge the battery overnight and then use a boost box to jump it in the am to be able to start the engine. I didn't know if this or the lack of my battery to charge to full power (only gets up to 79% power now) or if I could have blown a fuse or caused a disconnect with the connection to the radio because of all of this. I also had my vehicle broken into and left in the on position overnight, they were not able to steal the vehicle because the battery was dead, but thought maybe something might have caused communication issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The radio worked BTW, prior to the ignition left in the on position overnight when broken into. The battery was so drained I had to call a service for a jump and it took being connected to the tow trucks interior jumper cables and his more powerful boost box to get it started
If the dome lamps and interior lights work then there isn't a blown fuse. The issue would be wiring or the radio itself.
If jumper cables and a box were both used at the same time that voltage spike is most likely what damaged the radio. They are sensitive to proper battery and jump start procedures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
per the recall statement, which specifically states that if it is stuck between on and start which mine is permanently at the moment, some functionality of systems may be lost does not mean this may be the issue: SUMMARY:Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2008 Chrysler 300 vehicles manufactured May 31, 2007, to May 12, 2008, Dodge Magnum vehicles manufactured May 23, 2007, to May 12, 2008, Dodge Charger vehicles manufactured May 24, 2007, to May 12, 2008, Jeep Commander vehicles manufactured April 3, 2007, to May 12, 2008, and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured March 21, 2007, to May 12, 2008. In the affected vehicles, the ignition key (FOBIK) may not return to the "ON" position after being rotated to the "START" position, instead sticking between the two positions. Potentially, while the vehicle is being driven, the ignition may inadvertently move through the "RUN" position to the "ACCESSORY" or "OFF" ignition position, turning off the engine.CONSEQUENCE:If the ignition stays between "START" and "ON" positions it could cause loss of certain electrical functions. If the ignition key inadvertently moves into the "OFF" or "ACCESSORY" position, the engine will turn off, which will then depower various key safety systems including but not limited to air bags, power steering, and power braking. Loss of functionality of these systems may increase the risk of crash and/or increase the risk of injury in the event of a crash.If it was a voltage spike, what can be done to correct this??
The radio needs to be removed to test it's power, ground and bus voltage. If ok then the radio needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that definitely makes up my mind to buy a new vehicle..... And not a jeep this time. One thing after another.
Electrical failures can happen on any vehicle at any time and especially as they age, but it sounds as if the issue was caused by an improper jump start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which would not have happened if the recall had been fixed already. It's just a f**king nightmare at this point
Parts are available for the recall and the recall is active, however the key not turning back to the lock position isn't an issue related to the recall. The recall is for the customer accidentally allowing the key to go to the wrong position after starting the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again, according to the recall center, Chrysler and the dealership, my issue is part of the recall. And I have been waiting for a month to get a new ignition kit or switch, however the part is not available according to both Chrysler and the dealership. And also according to the recall notice, one is being tested, the recall is still active.
The problem you're currently having with the WIN is not what the recall is for. If you read through the text of the recall you posted above you'll see that it's for the key turning back unintentionally because it was allowed to spring back after starting the engine, or it can stick in the crank position. This is a mechanical issue with the spring detents in the WIN. Not being able to remove the key is an electrical issue with the interlock solenoid. Replacing the WIN has 50% chance of repairing that issue, but it's not what the recall is for.
Have your dealer check parts availability again, I don't believe they have checked recently enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have had the part on order for a month. And the issue was diagnosed as the recall problem at that time. Ridiculous
They haven't had the part ordered for a month. Recall P-57 was launched yesterday, which would have been the first day they could have been ordered.