Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2007 compass coolng fan not working

Customer Question

2007 compass coolng fan not working
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.
WHat size engine do you have? Can I get your VIN so I can pull a wiring diagram?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dual VVT 2.4L VIN#1J8FF47W97D415839
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the VIN!
There could be a few things going on here. Bad cooling fan module (cooling fan), no power to the cooling fans or bad relays. Start by checking the 12 gauge Red/Brown wire at the fan relays. The relay block is located on the left front outer frame rail. The wire should have B+ at all times. If that checks out good, check the 20 gauge Red/Light Blue wire for B+ at the relays also. This wire will often corrode at the relay block.
If the cooling fan has power and ground but is not coming on, I would suspect a bad fan motor.
Amedee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have any diagrams that you can send me where these are located?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

The relays are located in the power distribution center under the hood. I have attached a wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say left front is that the driver side of vehicle?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
that is correct. Pop the hood and you will see the power distribution center on the left/drivers side of the vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, there are 2 connectors on the TIPM. 1 with red brown and red yellow both look 12 gauge and both have 12vdc. the other connecter has multiple 20 gauge wires none that are red/light blue.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 12 gauge show +12vdc. Why does my vehicle have brn/red and red/ yellow. both of them read 12 vdc to ground. does this mean bad motor? I have two fans on this vehicle.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Do both fans have power and ground?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant tell you that. I haven't checked the 20 ga red light blue? where is that?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I would just check for power and ground right at the cooling fans

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
giving it a break how do I continue tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have both connectors separated. one 12 ga with 2 wires. The other 12 ga with 5 wires none the colors you asked me to check. The 12 ga connector has +12vdc at both connectors/wires. What does this mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please think about it relays or motor? That is what i'm paying for!"Help!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay. If you look at the wiring diagram I sent you you can see the wire colors going directly to the fan motors. I would check the powers and grounds going to the fan motors when the fans are supposed to be on.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

That will be your starting point. If there is no power going into the fans then you need to backtrack to the cooling fan relays and check power there

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but the wire diagram colors don't match my car! I think I have been telling you this!!!! Is there a different diagram?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Let me double check.
Either way, there should still be power and ground down at the cooling fans.
Give me a few minutes while I look for another diagram.
Amedee
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I did not find another wiring diagram for this circuit.
Can you tell me what color wires go to the cooling fans?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Amede