Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Why will my passenger side rear window only go up? i can

Customer Question

why will my passenger side rear window only go up? i can swap the wires around and it will go down and not up.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

Evening, the most likely issue is a broken wire inside the rubber door opening boot. The drivers door is the most likely location of the wire break. I have a video that explains what to look for. In the video I mention a certain color wire but I have seen other wires break as well. You can have different symptoms based on which wire breaks. Watch the video and check the wiring.....then let me know what you find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBOxWCVVOlI

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i could not find a break in the drivers side door. upon further exam the drivers side control did not function at all. and the one in the door only worked going up. it appears the is break somewhere in the harness. is there an easy way i can bypass this?
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
Next step would be to check the passenger side door jam harness as well. If it checks okay then I need for you to check a few other items using either a multimeter or test light before we try bypassing anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see a break in in the passenger side
Now what
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
Okay....I need to know if you have a multimeter or test light. If so than which one so that I can tailor how to check the system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a multi meter with ohms and low voltage
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

Here are the steps per the service manual. The way the system works is that the door switch on the front doors are actually part of a computer/module called the door module. Its not a simple wiring system. A lot of the window operations are performed by communication from one module to another module.

DOOR MODULE

NOTE: The following tests may not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of this component. The most reliable, efficient, and accurate means to diagnose this component requires the use of a DRB scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual.

If the problem being diagnosed is a rear door window that does not operate from the rear door switch, but does operate from the master switch on the driver side front door, (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/POWER WINDOWS/POWER WINDOW SWITCH - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING). If the problem is a passenger side front or rear window that operates from the switch on that door, but does not operate from the master switch on the driver side front door, use a DRB scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual to diagnose the circuitry of both door modules and the PCI data bus. For complete circuit diagrams, refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the trim panel from the front door, but do not disconnect the door wire harness connectors from the door module. Go to Step 2.
  2. Check the 15-way door wire harness connector for the door module to see that it is fully seated in the door module connector receptacle. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, properly connect the 15-way door wire harness connector for the door module to the door module connector receptacle.
  3. Disconnect the 15-way door wire harness connector from the door module connector receptacle. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the 15-way door wire harness connector for the door module and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the open ground circuit to ground as required.
  4. Connect the battery negative cable. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the 15-way door wire harness connector for the door module. If OK, go to Step 5. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the fuse in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) as required.
  5. If the inoperative window is on a front door, go to Step 6. If the inoperative window is on a rear door go to Step 9.
  6. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the door wire harness connector from the inoperative power window motor wire harness connector. Check for continuity between the front window driver up circuit cavity of the 15-way door wire harness connector for the door module and a good ground. Repeat the check for the front window driver down circuit. In each case there should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 7. If not OK, repair the shorted front window driver up or down circuit as required.
  7. Check for continuity between the front window driver up circuit cavities of the 15-way door wire harness connector for the door module and the door wire harness connector for the power window motor. Repeat the check for the front window driver down circuit. In each case there should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, repair the open front window driver up or down circuit as required.
  8. Reconnect the 15-way door wire harness connector back into the door module connector receptacle. Connect the battery negative cable. Connect the probes of a reversible DC digital voltmeter to the door wire harness connector for the power window motor. Observe the voltmeter while actuating the switch for that window in the up and down directions. There should be battery voltage for as long as the switch is held in both the up and down positions, and no voltage in the neutral position. If OK, If not OK, replace the faulty door module.
  9. Check the rear door power window switch continuity. If OK, go to Step 10. If not OK, replace the faulty rear door power window switch.
  10. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Reconnect the door wire harness connector to the rear door power window switch. Disconnect the door wire harness connector from the inoperative power window motor wire harness connector. Check for continuity between the rear window driver up circuit cavity of the 15-way door wire harness connector for the door module and a good ground. Repeat the check for the rear window driver down circuit. In each case there should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 11. If not OK, repair the shorted rear window driver up or down circuit as required.
  11. Check for continuity between the rear window driver up circuit cavities of the 15-way door wire harness connector for the door module and the power window motor wire harness connector. Repeat the check for the rear window driver down circuit. In each case there should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 12. If not OK, repair the open rear window driver up or down circuit as required.

NOTE: The door module feeds battery current to both terminals of the rear door power window motors when the power window lockout switch is in the Unlock position, until the master window switch on the driver side front door is actuated. The door module feeds ground to both terminals of the rear door power window motor when the power window lockout switch is in the Lock position, until the master window switch on the driver side front door is actuated.

12. Reconnect the 15-way door wire harness connector for the door module to the door module connector receptacle. Connect the battery negative cable. Check for battery voltage at each cavity in the door wire harness connector for the power window motor. Each cavity should have battery voltage when the power window switch is in the neutral position. Each cavity should also have battery voltage in one other switch position, either up or down, and zero volts with the switch in the opposite position. If not OK, replace the faulty door module.
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

I'm also attaching 2 wiring diagrams

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks i will let you know how it turns out in the next few days
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

I will keep an eye out for your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will be sometime later this week before i will have time to work on this
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

That will be fine