vipertech
vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Jeep factory certified technican
3256298

02 August 2015 04:54 Is it possible that the limp mode only

Customer Question

02 August 2015 04:54 Is it possible that the limp mode only goes on when you start or restart the engine? I have noticed that you can drive the car for 20 minutes in limp mode and stop and restart it and it is back 100% operational for 40 more minutes
(it has not run that long since limp mode hit us.......on the other hand we can do it vice versa (drive it 20 minutes NO ENGINE LIGHTS ON NO LIMP MODE, and turn it back on and be in limp mode... We would like to get the car back to VA (5 hours away) where
the mechanic who put a new engine in is...
Category: Jeep
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.

Evening, limp mode will be related to the transmission. The way it works is that each time you start the vehicle...it constantly runs tests and once it sees a problem, trans is placed in limp in mode and then you in second gear. The problem could show itself at start up or any time while driving. That would explain why the limp in happens at different point in time. Each start up causes it re-evaluate the system to see if a problem and if so....limp in, if not.....then okay until an issue comes up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Limp Mode is a result of a transmission error? Even though we have never had any gear slippage or other sign of transmission issues?There is a recent loud sound of the rattling of chains from underneath the car. The sound has been there for awhile on one side not-so-loud but it now seems much louder and on both sides. Could this be related to the transmission? If not, could it cause limp mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, could you send me an email when you respond to the question? That would be a big help to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Otherwise, I don't know you responded to the question. Thank you.
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
I have to answer the question thru the website....it doesn't show me your email address for your privacy. Let me go over the symptoms of the limp in mode so that we can agree that the same thing is being call limp in. Limp in can occur at start up or driving. What you will notice is that the trans may jerk when putting into gear if the issue is present at that time or it may cause the trans to come out of gear while driving until the vehicle slows down to the point that it can safely go into second gear (limp in mode). Then you notice that the trans will not shift into any higher gears and the rpms stay high and you cant go fast any more with out the engine red lining. Please let me know if this is the limp in that your feeling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can put the gas to the floor and it won't go over 25mph when it is in this state. I am pretty sure the rpms don't go faster..it's like it's not getting more gas. But you can accelerate from 0 -25mph just like it is a normal car. You can drive it 20 minutes in this condition, stop for gas and turn it back on and it is fine. And vice versa. Although we have noticed we got the codes: C2204, P013C and PO513 from a mechanic and then drove it to the dealer (10 miles away) and didn't get a code name but were told it was a speed sensor that was going off in the codes. They suggested transmission issues, but we have never had any problems. Today it is shifting beautifully. And driving over 25mph.. but there is a loud sound like chains clinking under the car.
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
Okay....p0513 is a wrong key or possible bad ignition key (internal security chip). P013c is a slow responding o2 sensor, cause could be numerous things. C2204 is a bad abs dynamic sensor (internal failure). These codes code be stored or active. It makes a difference which. Clearing the codes and see what returns is the best way to handle the codes so that we aren't checking a code that hasn't acted up in a long time. The vehicle stores codes when they happen and even after the issue no longer is present so that is why. From what I described as Limp mode and what your saying the vehicle is doing.....It appears the vehicle isn't in "limp mode". It appears you have an issue it the not going over 25 mph is the symptom. The noise worries me. Knowing where its coming from can say a lot. You have a noise and issues and chances are they are related. At this point we are in need of some special checking.....noise has to be isolated and the codes cleared and rechecked. See if the speed sensor code returns and getting a code number is ***** Chain link noise worries me if its a timing chain issue or engine related noise. Plus you mentioned the engine was replaced as well. There is no clear cut item at this point but a list of symptoms that need to be physically checked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you recommend I tow it back to the person who replaced the engine about a month ago? (Several hours away)
As the engine is under warranty.Or would you recommend I go to a local jeep dealer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that the chain link jiggling noise only goes off when you go over bumps (and was there before the engine was replaced last month)...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the chain noise doesn't always go over bumps just certain ones. I can go over the same bump at the same speed and it might not go off.
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
Okay so noise most likely a separate issue. Where to take it to will depend. If it is engine related then the person who installed the engine. If trans issue based on the code the dealer told you.....he might not be the best choice. Trans issues would be best left up to the dealer. Aftermarket guys can be great but the dealer has all the equipment to check everything on the car and the tools to fix it as well. If I had a choice and didn't have the mechanical know how that I have....the dealer would be my choice. Nothing personal with the independent shops...its just my opinion. The dealer specializes in these vehicles.
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the opportunity to help you with your question. If you feel that the question was answered fully, then please accept and leave positive feedback so that the question can be closed and I will receive credit for it. Thanks again
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
At this point if you believe your question has been answered completely then please accept the answer and give positive feedback so that the question can be closed. Otherwise I don't get paid for the time spend and the help given until you accept. Thanks