K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

We have a 1978 jeep cj5 with a 304 v8 we want to put a

Customer Question

we have a 1978 jeep cj5 with a 304 v8 we want to put a automatic in it.. have discussed with others here some say th350 the others th400 turbo..which is the best for the least money..
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for $ 26.00 I hope you can tell us what we need to make this change and where a person might obtain it..
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bonnie, The only one that will work for the '78 is the TH350 due to length issues. Preferably you want one out of a vehicle that was 4wd so you do not have to change the output shaft to run the transfer case adapter. The company I recommend for al the supplies is Novak conversions. They can assemble an entire package for you to perform the change easily. I'll post a link to the products you'll need below.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine_to_transmission/kit_437amc.htm

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/transmission_to_transfer_case/kit_135.htm

I suggest calling their pre purchase line first to get all the info ***-***-**** they can then transfer you to sales.

I've been using their products for quite some time and find they are superior to other companys in the adapter market.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked at that sight but they had nothing to bolt up to my 304 v8 all was for Chevrolet engines. this is kind of spendy for the answer
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
They do, the first link I posted is for the bell housing adapters for the 304 to bolt to the TH350. You may have been on the page for their Chevy v8 swaps. I can assure you they have what you need, I purchased these same items for a customer a couple of weeks ago. I highly suggest calling verses using just their website to order.
From the first link
Kit 437AMC-2, adapting AMC 304 engines to GM HydraMatic transmissions
Part #: 437AMC-2
Weight: 20.30
Price: $456.00
Includes the adapter plate, flexplate, crank spacer, flexplate spacers, flexplate reinforcing ring, fastening hardware
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't you think the th400 turbo would be a lot cheaper it bolts right up to the engine it is tight but they tell me it works fine what do you think. .I know the th350 is over 3 inches shorter but in the long run it would be cheaper..i have been told if you get a transmission out of a cj7 76 to 79 it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if this is costing me more money forget the whole matter. drop it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have learned my lesson..