Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

Dakota: Just got a 05 Dakota 3.7 v6 42rle auto trans, bought

Customer Question

Just got a 05 Dakota 3.7 v6 42rle auto trans, bought it with engine tick not really a knock doesnt sound like a spun bearing. noise is there all the time in neautral nosie slightly gets faster sonding with raising of rpms. but when engine is in gear, reverse or drive and you get it up to around 1500-1700 rpm noise dissapears completely. Any ideas? Truck has high miles just over 200k it had a bad #3 coil pack causing a missfire but fixed that. now I really want this noise gone before it gets any worse
Thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Does the noise sound like it's coming from the valvecovers or lower oil pan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oil pan
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
If the noise is coming from the oil pan its likely a spun bearing.. I would get a paint strainer and drain some oil and see if you see any metal debris.. if so then the engine will need to come out and tore down to find the bad bearing and likely need a crank kit.. I hope this helps and thank you for the positive rating,Brad