Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

Cj7: i replaced my starter on my 1983 jeep cj7 now it keeps

Customer Question

i replaced my starter on my 1983 jeep cj7 now it keeps tearing gears of of starter drive its like it doesnt set in close enough to fly wheel
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Inspect the flywheel teeth for any sharp edges or damage to the flywheel.This is usually the most common cause for this fault here.
If this is o.k. and it appears the starter is to far away from the flywheel teeth if you have tried the same brand starter over and over try a different brand to see if this sits closer to the flywheel as some after market starters are built incorrectly.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've replace the ring gear once and put two different brand starters on it still does it
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to shim out the starter to see if this corrects the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have it didn't help
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Cut a shim in 1/2 and install this shim just on the outer bolt in order to move the starter closer to the flywheel and of course no shims on the inner bolt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not that type of starter it's a two bolt ford starter it sets in a machined hole
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I understand, like this, http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/duralast-starter/jeep/cj7/1983/6-cylinders-c-4-2l-2bl/335786_23521_0/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mike I finally had chance to work on jeep . You got me thinking about shims . Come to find out the plate between motor and bell housing with hole for starter had got bent in that's what was causing all my problems . Must of happen when I changed starter out in the snow last winter