Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

Grand Cherokee Laredo: where is the remote entry module in

Customer Question

where is the remote entry module in the jeep? also where is the fuse for the remote entry?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** a 16 Yr Jeep dealership technician and I will be helping you with your question today...
Your Jeep had a SKIM module which is in the steering column. What issues are you having?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My remote entry will not work. I have changed the batteries and that is not the issue. Is there a module that can be changed to make it work? Also I have noticed that when I turn the light switch over the lights on the dashboard, radio, and the display at the top of car go dark? Is this a switch issue? Let me know what you think.

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Does it start and run fine? Do you have a key with slash thru it on dash? What codes are in the SKIM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the Jeep runs fine. key with slash thru it? is the door windows on driver door or lock involved with the light issue. Is there one main electrical issue that may cause the windows to lock up, interanl lights to go dark? I recently had the regulator replaced in the driver door.

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the wires in the door jam? They are known to break and cause these issues..:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can the wires in the door jam cause issues with the remote entry as well?

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Jason,
When did the locks stop working with the remotes? Do you have to remotes and will either one work? I would roll the black cover back and check for broke wires in the door jam.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The locks stop working about 3 months ago. yes I have 2 locks and neither work. In the past when i would change the batteries that would do it, but not this time. Internally the door locks and windows would work but then in the last 2 weeks I have had issues when I flip the light switch to on, the internal lights will not work. also the door locks and windows are dead. That's why i was wondering if this could all be tied together. Also how much trouble is it to switch out the wires? I have a mechanic who performed the regulator work and is about the put a new engine in next week. Let me know.

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have a broken wire in the driver door jam.. I would roll back the black covering and let me know if the black wire is broke..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does the wire in the door affect the remote entry? is there a separate module for the remote entry?

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
The SKIM module controls the door locks and yes the wire that is likely broke will affect the door locks..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So the SKIM module under the steering column affects the door locks? I thought it only affects the Key itself. Basically to turn the vehicle on.

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So if the car is starting and running properly should I replace the SKIM module? Or start with wiring in the door?

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Check wiring