Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Jeep grand cherokee laredo: i have a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee

Customer Question

i have a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo. after about 30 min of running, it stalls. upon stalling, it doesn't wnt to restart. the gauges read like theres no power, or bounce from low to high. yes, all of them; but not necessarily at once. after cooling off it will restart, but performance is bad. I went online, and MANY! people said they changed the pcm. I tried that, it didn't work. also I found the alt was full fielding with the new pcm, nor did it run as well as before.i disconnected the alt plug and it ran better, although the onboard volt-meter would vary between 3 and12 volts even though an external voltmeter read a steady11.5 batt voltage. is there any starting place to find an answer?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. If the PCM was replaced and there was no improvement, then I suspect there is going to be another module on board the vehicle going bad causing this condition. My experience has been the BCM and or the instrument cluster. Sometimes the cam sensor and or crank sensor can go bad causing this condition as well so be sure to check them