Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Grand cherokee laredo: My 2000 jgc laredo will not start. Key

Customer Question

My 2000 jgc laredo will not start. Key turned to on position. Won't crank or attempt to turn over. It will start by shorting the seliniod and starter motor. But not when I turn the key
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. The symptoms you describe point to an issue in the section of the starting circuit between the ignition switch and the starter motor. The easiest test is to move the trans gear selector from P to N and wiggle the shifter while turning the switch to START. If it does start, then the problem is probably caused by a bad PN position switch. If it still won't start, then you'll need a test light or voltmeter so I can guide you through the next tests.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tired putting in neutral and wiggling the key while turning it and still won't start. I did notice when I turned the key to the on position the key will wiggle slightly between the off and on position while its on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no attempt to start or turn over
I'm sorry for the confusion; I meant to say "while wiggling the gear selector lever", not the key. In any case, if it still won't start, then you'll need a test light or voltmeter so I can guide you through the next tests. Please let me know as soon as you're ready to start testing with yout test light or voltmeter. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok got my test light what do I need to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also wiggled the shifter like you said while trying to start the car and nothing as well.
Sorry for the delay. Storms in the area temporarily knocked out power and services. I’m back online now. Would you like to continue with me or would you like me to opt out so others can help you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can continue please
Thank you.Please allow me a couple more minutes while I upload a diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Thanks again. I've attached tow graphics; one depicting the location of the starter relay in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) under the hood; the other showing the Starting system wiring diagram.Our first step will be to remove the starter relay and see if there is ground at terminal 86 when the ignition switch is turned to START - you will need a helper to turn the key for you. To check for ground, clip your test light to the positive battery post.Is there ground at relay terminal 86? If yes, then clip your test light to the negative battery post and check for power at relay terminals 30 and 85. Is there power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've switched out relays my father in law tested all relays and there is power to all. He also tested the wires in the ignition all had fire except one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He wired up a push button start and that starts the car and turns the motor over But there is nothing when I turn the key to start.
I'm afraid you didn't understand my purpose; I was trying to get you to test the circuits, not the relay. If you would please follow the instructions on my previous posting, I'm sure will be on the right track to finding the root cause of the problem. Best Regards.