Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Grand Cherokee: , I have the good ole fashioned "transmission

Customer Question

Hi, I have the good ole fashioned "transmission over temp" "ESP BAS" lighting up on my dash. It has been intermittent for a few weeks now. Usually no performance impact but today I stalled a few times. I've read PCM, PCM relay, TCM...? Looks like a lot of people have had the same issue. Are you familiar with this issue?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site.. The 545RFE transmission in your GC is a heck of a good unit and we don't have many issues with it. However, the Transmission Control Module (TCM) has been known to fail. Check and spray WD-40 on all connections from TCM (below left side of dash) to the transmission solenoid assembly (connector on left side of transmission). Clear any codes and drive the vehicle. If "transmission over temp" "ESP BAS" returns, replace and reprogram TCM. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For this vehicle, it appears the TCM is part of the PCM so I will need to replace the PCM? that part also requires programming to the vehicle... is it wise to use one of the custom online module companies that program these based on the VIN and car info? as opposed to the dealer?
The TCM, located inside the cabin below left side of dash, is not part of the PCM, which is located in the engine compartment.Cleaning the connectors with WD-40 is recommended before replacing the TCM. However, if the TCM has to be replaced, a Jeep dealer would be the best option to perform the procedure as they are linked directly to Chrysler and can upload the latest software enhancements. Best Regards.