Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I'm reading the forums trying to find a solution to my

Customer Question

Hi, I'm reading the forums trying to find a solution to my problem but I cannot find the exact same issue. I have a 2002 Jeep grand cherokee laredo. The engine will start and run fine for 2 seconds and then die. The instrument cluster is basically not working. It lights up, the gauges move, but very slightly. Originally I was having issues with the cluster but when you turned the key over 2 or so times everything would kick back to normal and the jeep would start fine. I've checked all fuses that I can find and only the horn fuse had been blown. I also own a 2003 grand cherokee so I took the cluster from that and tried it on my 2002 and had the exact same issues. I have no idea where to proceed from here and with financial difficulties I cannot afford to take it to the shop right now.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is definitely with the truck starting and only running for 2 seconds. The cluster works fine, I just installed it into my 2003 and everything works great.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! Thank you for requesting me! Have you checked for codes in the computer? Does the check engine light come on with the key in he on position for a bulb check? Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing when trying to start the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all of the dummy lights come on and cycle off just like they should. once the truck starts everything goes off except in the top right there is a picture of a key with a line through it. no codes were found
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
It sure sounds to me like you have a security issue going on.
Please send me your VIN!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1j4gw48s52c285381
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the VIN! The most common causes for this start and stalling condition is going to be a bad SKIM module, PCM or a bad instrument cluster. If you have swapped out the cluster with another known good one but it did not seem to help, then I would suspect a bad PCM or a bad SKIM module. The SKIM module is the security module on board the vehicle. This can go bad causing this sort of issue. You can try to disconnect the battery cables from the battery and hold them together for about 10 minutes and that may reset the module and allow the vehicle to start up.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
But ultimately the bad module would need to be replaced. Of course you would need to check all powers and grounds going into the suspected bad module before replacing it
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Another thing you can do too is check for codes in the PCM as this may help point you in the right direction.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today. Of course, please let me know if you have any further questions as I will be happy to help! If not, please dont forget to rate. RegardsCustomer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would i tell if its the pcm or skim?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You could disconnect the SKIM module to see if the gauges start working again. Or you can check for a 5 volt reference to the TPS with the key on. If there is no 5 volt reference, then I would suspect a bad PCM.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Or if you can get your hands on a scanner, see which module is or is not communicating. This would also be another way to narrow it down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'll have to go do some more work
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
YES, it sounds like you have some work to do. At least now you know which direction to go in.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
It has been a pleasure working with you. I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to rate. Have a great night!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you have any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer.
I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer