sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Cherokee limited: I replaced the battery on my 1991 jeep Cherokee

Customer Question

I replaced the battery on my 1991 jeep Cherokee limited edition & now I cannot get the remote to turn off the alarm to start the jeep. It will start & run for about 5 seconds then it cuts off. Can I disconnect the alarm ?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
on the older jeeps putting the key in ANY door lock cylinder,, left right OR trunk will disarm the alarm, once you lock and unlock the door WITH THE KEY.have you tried this procedure yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have tried locking and unlocking all of the doors and it still does not work
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
I must opt out there is a serious issue with the alarm if it will not disarm even with the key, and with it armed there is no way to bypass it, and it is a program inside the engine computer so it cannot be removed short of replacing the engine computer with one WITHOUT an alarm
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It's possible that you could have a module or wiring issue if the system won't disarm with either method. You may have more than one problem going on though an it isn't uncommon to have multiple failed disarm switches or the switches can pop off the lock cylinders.
Is this actually a Grand Cherokee?
Does the key fob work to unlock the doors?