sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a !989 Jeep Cherokee with factory air, converted to

Customer Question

I have a !989 Jeep Cherokee with factory air, converted to r134 many years ago and worked ok till recently. I used our older Robinair machine at work that I use all the time for semi trucks. System held the vacuum for 20 min, held nitrogen for 20 min. I tried to add Freon on low side and high side, tried with compressor jumped to charge at times, also checked by pushing the schraders to be sure no pressure in system before trying and each time the machine said it didn't add it and do I want to retry. the machine worked well just before and just after I tried my jeep. my question is off coarse why?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the problem was actually with the vehicle then there has to be a restriction in the system. If it didn't take anything at all then I would first suspect an issue with the service ports. I've seen issues with the conversion kit service ports that screw on. Usually the original valve core is left in place and the conversion port has a valve that has to contact it and push it down when opening the valves on the machine/gauge hoses, they often won't work correctly even when new. They may appear to work fine by hand but the hose fittings couldn't open the valves.
Do you have a gauge set and scale to try charging that way?