Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.
7276279

Grand Cherokee: I went to get an oil change two weeks ago and

Customer Question

I went to get an oil change two weeks ago and was told I had an oil leak. I'd been putting oil in the engine until I could get the leak fixed. Everything was fine until I switched up the type of oil I had been using from the conventional to high mileage. Now I have a knocking and shaking when I pull off. I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition with 88, 250 miles on it with 4.7L engine. I'm hoping I don't have to get another engine or throw a rod.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.Changing the type of oil you use should not have caused the engine any problems providing the engine has the correct amount of oil in it, If you suspect you know have a rod knocking you can determine which cylinder it is by removing one spark plug at a time with the engine running and if it is a rod the noise should change on the cylinder with the spark plug wire removed. This will help you isolate which cylinder it is. If you find one does change then unfortunately it is likely a knocking rod.