sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Unlimited X: I have a 2008 Jeep Unlimited X and have been having

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Jeep Unlimited X and have been having an issue with it for a while. About 4 months ago the radio would shut off and lose all power, around the same time, the car started having difficulty starting. I would turn the key and the starter would engage but would not fire up. If I sat long enough though it would eventually start I thought it might be the battery so I bought a new battery and had the old battery tested and it was not the battery. I pulled the radio and thought that it might have a short in the radio wiring causing this but, recently though I tried to start it and the radiator fan turned on and would not shut off. It drained the battery and I got a jump start drove the jeep for almost an hour to my house and shut it off and the fan shut off. I sat for about 5mins and turned the key and it started up no problem shut it off and the fan did not stay on. Is there a way to test the starter? Should I replace relays? Are there any recalls that I might not know as I boug
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! There were a handful of possible recalls but none pertaining to any of the issues you're having. Your dealer would have to run the VIN to see if there are any open on your vehicle currently.If the radio is the only thing going down then most likely the problem is in the radio itself. It's possible that it coudl be losing a power or ground due to a wiring or connection problem but it's more likely that the radio itself is failing. what would need to be done is ensure it's power, ground and communication bus voltages are good at the time it won't power up, if ok then the radio can be condemned.The cooling fan was most likely staying on due to a stuck cooling fan relay. When it doesn't start does the starter engage and continue to crank the engine or does it just click?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter clicks, but it is more than just a click. I've been in cars that I can feel the solenoid not engage and I can say that the solenoid is engaging, but it is as if, the solenoid is throwing and it doesn't have enough power, or it is engaging in a way that binds instead of engaging in a way that can turn the car over. Hopefully that explains it a little better.
I ordered a new starter yesterday and I am going to change that out and see if it cures that part of the issues. I have not pulled the relays and examined them yet I am still in need of a schematic for which one to examine.
The starter relay is in the TIPM and you can swap it with another, but if you hear a solid click from the engine compartment but the starter doesn't crank the engine then the problem is the starter, a poor connection, battery or cable issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have a schematic or a diagram showing which relay is which? I found a diagram that was posted on an older post but I don't know if it is accurate?
All fuse and relay locations are detailed on the bottom of the TIPM cover. The starter relay is between the EATX and rear defrost relays. It's next to fuses J19, 20 and 21.